What are custom keycaps? Custom keycaps are aftermarket keycaps that you can buy to replace your existing keycaps. They come in various colours, materials, and designs, so you can choose the ones that best suit your personality and style.
Why use custom keycaps?
There are several reasons why you might want to use custom keycaps. Maybe you want your keyboard to match your other gaming gear. Or maybe you want to add a pop of colour to your boring office keyboard. Custom keycaps can help you create a unique and stylish keyboard that expresses your personality.
How to choose custom keycaps
When choosing custom keycaps, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, think about the material. Keycaps are typically made from ABS plastic or PBT plastic. ABS plastic is the most common type of plastic used for keycaps. It’s durable and has a wide range of colours, but it’s also susceptible to shine over time. PBT plastic is a more premium option. It’s more expensive but also more durable and resistant to shine.
Second, think about the colour. Custom keycaps come in a wide range of colours, so you can choose the ones that best match your style. If you want your keyboard to match your other gaming gear, you’ll want to choose keycaps that match the colours of your other gear. If you want to add a pop of colour to your keyboard, you can choose keycaps in your favourite colours.
Third, think about the design. Custom keycaps come in various designs, so you can choose the ones that best suit your personality. You can choose keycaps with a minimalist design if you want a simple and understated look. You can choose keycaps with a more intricate design if you want a more eye-catching look.
Fourth, think about the size. Custom keycaps come in different sizes, so you’ll need to choose the ones that fit your keyboard. Keycaps are typically measured in millimetres (mm), so you’ll need to know your keyboard’s size before choosing the right keycaps.
Finally, think about the price. Custom keycaps can range in price from $20 to $200, so you’ll need to decide how much you’re willing to spend. If you’re looking for a few keycaps to add a pop of colour to your keyboard, you can find affordable options for less than $50. If you’re looking for a complete set of high-quality keycaps, you can expect to spend $100 or more.
How to install custom keycaps
Installing custom keycaps is a simple process that anyone can do. Just follow these steps:
1. Remove your existing keycaps. Most keyboards use a standard Cherry MX keycap, so you can use a Cherry MX keycap puller to remove the keycaps. If your keyboard uses a different type of keycap, you’ll need to find a keycap puller compatible with your keyboard.
2. Clean the keyboard. Once the keycaps are off, you’ll need to clean the keyboard. Use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the keycap stems and the keyboard surface.
3. Install the custom keycaps. Line up the custom keycap with the keycap stem and gently push down. The keycap should snap into place. Repeat this process for all the custom keycaps.
4. Enjoy your new keyboard! Custom keycaps are a great way to add personality to your keyboard. Just choose the right keycaps for your keyboard and your style.
Top 5 Custom Keycap Under $50:
- ENHANCE Gaming Keycaps Upgrade Kit – for Mechanical and Membrane Keyboards
- Glorious PC Gaming Race Aura Keycaps
- HyperX Double Shot PBT Keycaps
- CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 RAPIDFIRE Low Profile – RGB LED Backlit Speed Silver Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Linear and Quiet Switches
- Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition TKL Tenkeyless Gaming Keyboard: Fastest Keyboard Switches Ever – Linear Optical Switches – Chroma RGB Lighting – PBT Keycaps – Onboard Memory – Programmable Macro Functionality
Custom keycaps are a great option if you’re looking for a way to add personality to your keyboard. Just choose the right keycaps for your keyboard and your style. With so many different colours, materials, and designs available, you’re sure to find the perfect custom keycaps to express your personality.